- Sunday Times reported on how the “Gauteng Department of Sport, Arts, Culture & Recreation paid gospel star Dr Tumi R500,000 for putting together 2-hour online concert.” Renowned gospel artist, rubbished the insinuation of unethical behaviour and mismanagement of funds by claiming that the headline was intentionally misleading.
The Department also released a statement watering down the newspaper’s report of the transaction. The show is alleged to have only attracted an audience of just a ‘little over 1700 viewers of YouTube.’ According to the Department, the newspaper intentionally misled the public by undermining the input that goes into putting together a TV production with many performances. The Sunday Times was also mischievous in only counting YouTube viewers when in fact that was a live TV production on DSTV, which was further syndicated to social media platforms such as YouTube and Facebook. There were six gospel artists performing on the night, including Lebo Sekgobela, Pastor Benjamin Dube, Taki Ndou, and Pastor Lungi.
- I guess it is safe to say that Lerato Kganyago managed to shut down this year’s Valentine’s Day. Her husband went all out and booked the entire Soccer City Stadium for their Valentine’s Day dinner and secured an exclusive performance from Zonke Dikana and her band. Who could top that?
- DStv is launching its first original Pan-African Lifestyle Channel ‘HONEY’ today, on DStv Channel 173. The channel will be available in South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, Zambia, Angola, Mozambique, Tanzania, DRC and Cameroon.
TV personality Anele Mdoda is said to be the host of a new talk show which will form part of this new channel. The show features presenters from other African countries including Pearl Umeh from Nigeria; Rachel Wakesho from Kenya, Zanna Katoka from the DRC, and Davina Mavuwa from Zimbabwe. @Zintathu (Instagram) also shared a snippet of what to be expected on the forthcoming show, which is to be launched on this new DSTV channel!
- NO HIDING HERE, a queer romantic comedy is coming to @ShowmaxOnline on 18 February 2021. Written and Directed by Gabe Gabriel, the romcom is starring Fleur du Cap winner Earl Gregory, SAFTA-Winning actress Tiffany Barbuzano, David Viviers, Loren Loubser, Kea Zawadi-Mongake and Monde Sibisi.
- Nyaniso Dzedze, Linda Mtoba, Buhle Samuels and Motsatsi Mafatshe will star in a new film directed by Sisanda Henna titled ‘One Night KwaMxolisi.’ The film will premiere on Showmax on Friday, 26 February 2021. It will also air on Mzansi Magic, DSTV channel 161, on Saturday, 27 February 2021.
- The United States based VOD platform, which is available in 21 countries bought the rights to Jahmil Qubeka’s film, Sew The Winter To My Skin, starring Brenda Ngxoli, Bongile Mantsai and Mandisa Nduna. The film started streaming on the platform on 01 February 2021.
- Moshidi Motshegwa has joined Isono, the BET series that airs from Mondays to Thursday. The award-winning actress was spotted by Phil Mphela’s sources on the set of the @BET_Africa telenovela shooting scenes for the show.
The fans of Motshegwa, who played the character of Malefu were devastated when she was let go on The River because of the alleged off-screen drama between herself and Larona Moagi (Tumi). Motshegwa went to scoop a SAFTA for her role on The River, even though her contract was cancelled.
How was your valaza inspired weekend?