It’s that time of the week again where I get to force feed you some FDS **chuckles**
Today we glance at another topic that is rooted in childhood, as with most behaviours…so let us talk about codependency.
“Codependency is focusing on others problems, feelings, and needs at the expense of your own well being” – IG @blessthemessy
It is imperative to note that this is not only in romantic relationships but friendships, family and all other relationships as well.
As aforementioned, this stems from ones childhood where the following (might) have occurred:
- Family dysfunction
- Emotional neglect/ignored emotions – primary caregiver invalidates emotions because primary needs are met
- Physical/emotional/verbal abuse
SIGNS YOU MIGHT BE CODEPENDENT:
- Don’t have (good) boundaries
- Ignore own needs/Can’t say NO
- Easily hurt / Need to be needed
- Avoid conflict /deny problem
- Poor self esteem – value approval from others over valuing self
- Carry/feel responsible for others’ feelings
HOW TO UNSHAKLE THYSELF OOOH CHILD:
- Boundaries Boundaries Boundaries…can never emphasize this enough.
- Foster self love and honour your intuition.
- Free YOU – Let go of what you cannot control.
- Speak up and ask for what you need instead of making others guess/assume.
- Talk sweetly to yourself – what you thing & say becomes how you view yourself.
- Make self care a consistent and everlasting ritual.